Utah Ranks in Top Ten Highest Well-Being States
Utah ranks number 9 in the Gallup-Sharecare State of American Well-Being 2017 survey. The Gallup-Sharecare Well-Being Index includes more than 2.5 million surveys and captures how people feel about and experience their daily lives. Conducted annually since 2008, the survey’s most recent results show the stability of Utah’s quality of life.
The Well-Being Index measures how people feel about five elements of well-being:
- Purpose: liking what you do each day and being motivated to achieve your goals
- Social: having supportive relationships and love in your life
- Financial: managing your economic life to reduce stress and increase security
- Community: liking where you live, feeling safe, and having pride in your community
- Physical: having good health and enough energy to get things done daily
Utah’s high overall ranking is largely due to the state’s excellent scores in social, financial, and community well-being. Despite nationwide decreases in most rankings, Utah remains in the top ten for each of these categories.
The Well-Being survey suggests that a population’s well-being increases as institutions engage in making “healthy choices easier, encouraging people to move naturally and develop strong social networks by designing streets for all users, creating new transportation and land use policies, and utilizing mixed-use housing development.” Utah’s initiatives to improve residents’ lifestyles have led to lasting, wide-reaching improvements in well-being.
The consistency of the state’s well-being index over the years is a clear indication that Utah is thriving. These positive rankings help to establish Utah as a premier destination for corporate relocation and expansion. With a happy, healthy population, Utah is an ideal place to live, work, and play.