Fox File #25 "SLC International"
The Fox Files is a weekly message from EDCUtah President & CEO Theresa Foxley.
A small team from EDCUtah and the Governor’s Office toured the Salt Lake City International Airport new terminal construction last week, and it’s really hard to draft a note describing the incredible scale of the rebuild. I honestly needed to see it myself to comprehend the scope.
- Cap-Ex: $3.1 Billion rebuild funded through airport cash, bonds, grants, and fees. No tax increase to fund the program!
- Construction Employees: 600 today with up to 2,000 during peak construction times
- 4,500 tons of structural steel
- 16 cranes, each of which requires an FAA permit
- 2020: parking garage, new terminal, and portions of the new concourse will be complete
- 2023-2024: Additional phases will be complete
- Length of the new concourse: 1,300 yards
- Project Team: A joint venture between Big D and Holder, using over 60 local subs
- Regional draw: SLC draws from about a 300-mile radius
- # of passengers today: 23 Million/year
- Sustainability: the new airport will be built to LEED Gold standards